CLOSED-MCF@RUFORUM SCHOLARSHIPS 2021/2022
Mastercard Foundation has partnered with the Regional Universities Forum for Capacity Building in Agriculture (RUFORUM; www.ruforum.org), a network of 129 universities in 38 African countries to Transform African Agricultural Universities (TAGDev) to meaningfully contribute to Africa’s growth and development. The aim of the partnership is to transform African agricultural universities and their graduates to better respond to developmental challenges through enhanced application of science, technology, business and innovation for rural agricultural transformation.
Under this partnership, 110 undergraduate and 110 Masters Scholarships will be provided over a period of eight years. The scholarships target academically deserving yet economically disadvantaged, marginalized communities and those coming from conflict and post conflict areas of Africa. The scholarships are tenable at Egerton University in Kenya and Gulu University in Uganda.
Students enrolled under this scholarship program will receive comprehensive scholarships,leadership development, life skills support, entrepreneurship training and mentorship and
exposure to community engagement. For the academic year 2021/2022, thirty (30) Master’s Scholarships are available, of which 50% will be for Kenya and Uganda nationals. Fifty percent(50%) of the scholarships will be awarded female applicants
Applicants shall only apply to one university of choice.
For admission to Gulu University, applicants must fill and submit the application form online accessible on http://www.admissions.gu.ac.ug.
For admission to Egerton University, interested applicants can download the admission forms from the university or RUFORUM websites (http://www.ruforum.org/MCF/;
Applications can be submitted in hard copy or by email attachment to program coordinators in the University of choice. Applications (PDF) by email attachment should not be more than 5 MB and two file attachment (university admission form and scholarship application form).
1. Be a national of Kenya and Uganda to benefit from the national respective scholarship quota
2. Be a citizen of any African country to benefit from the Africa region scholarship quota
3. Be from economically disadvantaged, marginalized communities, coming from conflict and post conflict
- Be less than 30 years by the deadline of the application.
- The applicant should meet admission criteria to eligible programs in the University of choice(Egerton University or Gulu University). Continuing students are NOT eligible.
- For admission into the two universities, one must have completed a relevant Bachelor Degree with a second class honours, upper division.
- Demonstrate interest in agriculture, agribusiness and entrepreneurship
- Demonstrate commitment to leadership
- Have commitment to working in agriculture, agricultural value chains and rural development.
- Have a strong commitment to community engagement and transformation
Note to Applicants
1 Applicants are advised to submit ALL the documents as guided in the application form for university admission
2. Applicants to Gulu University with qualifications from countries other than Uganda must submit copies of equated academic documents from Uganda National Examinations Board and/or National Council for Higher Education.
3. Those applying to Egerton University must attach to the admission application form a passport size photo, Copy of National ID/ Passport, Curriculum Vitae, Certified copies of academic certificates and transcripts; Academic certificates and transcripts must be certified by the institution that issued them.
- Applicants must submit both the scholarship application form and the university admission application form at the same time
- Successful international applicants will also be required to have police clearance certificate (Certificate of good conduct) prior to commencement of their studies
The deadline to apply for the MCF@RUFORUM Scholarships is 31st March 2021 at 17:00 Hours
Academic Registrar, Gulu University
Awich Road, Laroo Division, Gulu Municipality
P.O.Box 166 Gulu, Uganda
For additional information about the scholarship at Gulu University Please contact:
Assoc. Prof. Duncan Ongeng
TAGDev Program Coordinator
Faculty of Agriculture and Environment
Gulu University, Awich Road, Laroo Division, Gulu Municipality
Tel: +256 782673491 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Prof. Nancy W. Mungai
TAGDev Program Coordinator
TAGDev office, Physics Block 1st floor
P.O Box 536-20115, Egerton Njoro, Kenya
Tel: +254 711 68 9880 or +254 720 390 893